Thursday, February 24, 2005

Wok Your Face Off

(Sorry, Kelly.)

I was mixing up a batch of stir-fry last weekend, and I came up with this pretty tasty sauce recipe that I thought I would share. I haven't tried it with seafood or tofu, but it tastes pretty good with beef and chicken.

Trav's Spicy Stir-Fry Sauce

1 cup broth (beef, chicken, or vegetable)
4 T cornstarch
4 T soy sauce
4 T sugar
4 T dry sherry
1 T cider vinegar
1/4 t. ground ginger
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. onion powder
1/2 t. ground red pepper*
1/4 t. ground black pepper

*This will make a "medium" sauce. For "hot," increase the red pepper to 1 teaspoon. For "mild," omit the ground red pepper altogether. And for "very hot," increase the ground red pepper to 1 teaspoon and add 1 tablespoon of hot pepper oil.

Combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl. Add to your favorite stir-fry, after the meats and veggies are all fully-cooked. Stir-fry over high heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly, until the sauce is thickened. Serve over rice or noodles, and garnish with chopped almonds, cashews, or peanuts.

No comments: